After months of full coverage cycling through India, Pakistan and Iran, I realized something about myself. I might as well change my name to Carly and start singing 'You're so Vain' in the mirror to my self every morning because I had no idea how much the police in Iran mandating my attire would truly be such an issue.
I am more vain then I would of ever expected. After 2 ½ years of bicycle touring it is safe to say that my panniers are depleted of clothing. I presently own one pair of shorts and when I am cold, I wear knee socks or my rain pants. My wardrobe has been destroyed by the elements. Never having been a fan of that expensive sporty spf clothing material my cheap bohemian cotton shirts have the longevity of about 3 months of pedaling, before they are holier than a preacher at the pulpit. So what is the girly girl gear for guys too necessary fashion attire for bicycle touring? Thanks to the internet and my dad, my shipping partner, I have ordered some new discounted clothing gear from the internet. I can’t wait to get…..
- Prana pants ¾ length pants intended for rock climbing are great for pedaling. They are cool looking, a little stretchy and tough enough for bike touring. My first pair lasted for 1 and ½ years of continuous touring. They never fell apart and eventually just got sun burnt (literally). They became paper thin and you could see right through them. I didn’t fancy flashing everyone on the planet so I eventually recycled them into bicycle cleaning rags.
- Tavu visor. A vanity purchase because they just look cool and will keep the sun off of my nose. My nose most days is a sun burnt flakey mess and someday soon I might end up being one of those super chic white zinc nose people. You could call me Carly and laugh at me if you would like.
- Prana tank top. Newly freed from the confines of a conservative dress code, I just need to get some air on my pedaling arms.. Prana clothes intended for yoga, wick moisture away and keep you dry while sweat drenched on the bike. I love the pants so I will be trying out the tops.
- Ex-officio shorts. My only pair of shorts for some time now. They are tough and I love the cargo pockets. I could pretty much camp for a couple of days out of the stuff I stash in the pockets. They do have that sporty spf material so they have lasted a really long time. I suffer from a brown circle on the bum of my beige shorts from the saddle so this time I ordered a dark brown pair.
Pro-tip: If you dress the color of dirt to begin with it is far easier to stay clean looking while bicycle touring
- Triposili Sunglasses.I love my serengeti driver shades, however they have stretched a lot and are now way too big. They fall off my head 5 times a day and the lenses fog over from sweat and I can’t see. I stop cycling everyday a few times to wipe them, so I can see. Also, I wear my hair in a pony tail and wrap the cord on the pony tail to keep the glasses attached to my face. They are tuff though, I have dropped them on the cement at least 50 times and they don’t break. I am hoping the triposi glasses sold through amazon by BikeSomewhere fix my sunglasses issues. The new glasses come with 3 lenses. The clear lens is great for dusty foggy construction areas.
What’s your favorite article of clothing for a bicycle tour?
Free Be the Adventure T-shirt holiday giveaway, just leave a comment about your favorite article of clothing for a bicycle tour and a winner will be chosen from the comments below in the next couple of days. T-shirts come in black and white, unisex sizes s-xxL with free international shipping.